This Franschhoek restoration project involved an 1860 Heritage property, listed in Professor Fabio Todeschini’s study on Franschhoek. Set in Cabrierre Road, the house was originally built as a simple homestead and later “Victorianised” with the stoep and verandah added.
Photographs and drawings from that time show the house surrounded by farmland. The house marks a time in the history of Franschhoek – originally called Oliphantshoek – two centuries after the first French Huguenots settled, giving the valley its name.
The project involved in-depth meetings with the Franschhoek Conservation Society and input from Professor Todeschini. There was a prior alteration that needed to be reworked: the house needed to have levels resolved.
The roof space was integrated in a double volume living room and mezzanine study area. The entrance was reworked to include more generous internal space, a library, and a new timber staircase was built.
Original internal brickwork and timber doors and windows were carefully restored. The former outdoor living area was extended and the garden was extensively upgraded to include vegetables, a raised herb garden, a water feature and small plunge pool. The landscaping was done with a great deal of input from the client, who was very hands-on and influential in many of the design processes.
Photography: Rob Mills
021 872 1608 (T)
021 872 3772 (F)